Monday, January 10, 2011

Music

Music is such an inspirational part of our lives. The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said, “Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end." A really good quote about music and learning music says this, "Parents should encourage their children to receive instruction in musical skills, enabling them to use their talents to serve in the Church." Music is such an influential part of our lives it influences the things that we think and do and say. It's one of the best ways we can show our appreciation for the Lord. He says, "My soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." There is so much out there for us and we need to filter out those things that are going to be harmful to us.

1 comment:

  1. I was just writing about this actually in my journal on the airplane. I´m now in Argentina and I was thinking about how much my parents made me learn to play the piano and then the organ... and how that was one of the first things I ended up bringing with me down here was piano music that would keep me happy. I think it is interesting how I´m in a strange place and I can´t understand everything as usual and the first thing that pops into my head is to sing a song and the song that came out was... well in Spanish and I actually can´t remember the name in English now haha, but ¨I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands.¨ Music is one of the best ways to thank our Heavenly Father for what we have.

    ReplyDelete